Monday, March 21, 2011

The MacKays



I love Jim and Betsy MacKay for so many reasons. They are dear to my heart. They live in Portland, OR and graciously agreed to let me live in their daughter's bedroom (she wasn't using it!) for about a month when I started my residency at PPMC in 2002. Matt stayed on in DC for his job and came about 6 weeks later. The MacKays did not know a thing about me except that Bob and Cherry Raley knew me and The Raleys are good friends with the MacKays since they went through medical school together many years ago in Dallas. Jim actually graduated from the residency I went to!

I will never forget my first day of residency. I awoke in Sarah's room, had a little pity party because I missed Matt terribly, put on my clothes, grabbed my new white coat and walked upstairs. Thankfully, Betsy was there and helped me get a bowl of cereal and calmed my nerves. The last thing I remember saying to her was, "I hope I don't kill anyone today." (I didn't).

I also spent every Thanksgiving with them because I would send Matt to Austin to go hunting since I was usually working. They are both foodies and had an amazing spread at their house every year and made me feel like one of the family. I try to call them every Thanksgiving to check in.

Their oldest child, Andrew, has Down's Syndrome and they have handled it with such grace and humor. He just turned 40 and came along on their visit to Houston and Austin. They spent about 2 hours with me before they headed to the Raley's for the night. I am so glad they got to meet my kids. And Matt saw them briefly, too.

Thanks, Dr. and Mrs. MacKay for all you did for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment