Today was the big day. Alivia's first day of Kindergarten at Veritas Academy. Matt's alarm did not go off so we both awoke at 7:10 in a state of panic. Thank goodness we had Alivia's uniform all ready. Mimi came over and helped get her breakfast going and Matt and I frantically packed her lunch. We took a few pictures of our precious girl and were out the door at 7:35 am.
We usually will have 4 other boys joining us in the morning for the carpool, but today everyone came with their own families.
There are 7 boys and 4 girls in Mrs. Foulkrod's class. When we arrived, Alivia walked confidently into the room, found her chair and the round table and began coloring. She hardly looked up again. That girl is focused! I waved and slinked out the door with a few tears in my eyes. I stayed in the hallway a few more minutes and peeked at the activity. She is sitting with 3 other boys at her table (there are 3 tables with 4 kids each).
When the boys and I picked her up she said, "I am tired. Today we played freeze tag. I was the only girl who did not get tagged!" Some other comments were, "The boys made funny faces and I laughed at them." "I made a friend with another girl who is not in my class." "We had Spanish class today." She also started rattling off the months of the year by memory. I was amazed!
Tomorrow will be our first day of homeschooling. This is quite an adventure. We get our homeschooling assignments for the week a few days before it starts and there is a communication folder that travels back and forth between the class and home. She already has some work to turn in next Monday.
Alivia was bummed to realize that she won't be able to go back to school again for FIVE more days. She wanted to celebrate her first day of kindergarten with a party, but settled for some Amy's Ice Cream after dinner. What a special day!




No comments:
Post a Comment