Right around this time I began to have a terrible one-sided sore throat. I kept thinking, "Wow, if this is strep throat, I am going to have way more compassion for my patients from now on." I have never had strep throat. I tested myself for strep at work and nope, the rapid strep was negative. Move forward a few more days and I was taking Ibuprofen 800 mg, Tylenol 1000 mg, and some leftover Vicodin that I had laying around the house to help with the pain . . . to no avail. The pain was incredible. After 2 days, I began to have difficulty swallowing and talking. I knew it was time to take myself to the ER. So at 2 am, I left Matt with the kids, called my folks on the way and they met me there.
I was diagnosed with a parapharyngeal abscess and cellulitis with a CT scan. I was given IV steroids, antibiotics and pain meds and went back to Mesa Drive to recuperate for a few days on antibiotics. My only guess is that I picked up that crazy bacterial infection at work. GROSS!
Matt was absolutely incredible during this period of time. He had to take over every aspect of our household and work, too. He never complained.
Thankfully, I was almost back to normal just in time for the kids' birthday party at Build a Bear. WHEW. I just kept thinking about how I take my health for granted.
 |
| My precious kids |
No comments:
Post a Comment