While the kids were at camp, Matt and I had a getaway to Maine. Matt had always wanted to go there so we took the opportunity to GO! Southwest flies there now so I could fly for free alongside Matt with the Companion Pass.
The first day we landed in Portland, ME and drove to Camden - stopping at Bowdoin College and Red's Eats in Wiscasset along the way.
The next day we got up early and drove to Acadia National Park. I almost did not include this on our trip because I was worried about the crowds but I am so glad we went! Next time we go I want to spend more time there and rent some bikes and bike along the old carriage trails.
Day #3 was spent driving to Kennebunkport and stopping at a beautiful lighthouse along the way. And one more pass through Red's Eats for a lobster roll!
Day #4 explored Kennebunkport. We were supposed to take a schooner trip but the wind was too high so they cancelled it. We had a lovely dinner at Ocean Restaurant and were able to bike along the coast seeing the beautiful homes in Kennebunkport including the Bush Compound.
Day #5 explored Kennebunkport in the morning and then headed to the airport where we found our flight was cancelled and paid $800 to get on another airline!
I guess that is my one complaint about Maine - it is so hard to get to. It took us most of the day to get there and back. I think the mountains of Colorado are just as beautiful and easier (for Texans) to get to. I would like to take the kids some day, but I have other priorities so it may be awhile!
 |
| We stopped at Bowdoin College on the way to Camden, Maine - it seems like a very musically-oriented school |
 |
| Our first several nights were in Camden at the Inn at Sunrise Point - such a beautiful place - but it was so foggy we couldn't see any view! That was a bummer because supposed the ocean is beautiful there. |
 |
| We stopped at Red's Eats TWICE in Wiscasset for the MOST AMAZING lobster rolls. |
 |
| Hiking along the Dorr Mountain Trail |
 |
| It was still really foggy in portions of the hike |
 |
| Matt "re proposed" to me and gave me a beautiful ring along our hike. I was so surprised! |

 |
| Popovers and jam at the Jordon Pond House Restaurant - they were so yummy! I am so glad we did this. The guidebook made it sound like it was a tourist trap but I thought it was lovely. A must do! |
 |
| Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast was a disappointment - after Red's Eats it is hard to eat lobster or seafood anywhere else! |
 |
| Lighthouse at Pemaquid Point - it was a really cool lighthouse that we got to go inside. But the FOG really ruined the view. Bummer! And the warnings about getting swept away by the waves were crazy. |
 |
| We stayed at the Captain Fairfield Inn in Kennebunkport and to be honest it wasn't that great but we rented bikes and had a blast riding along the seawall and seeing the beautiful houses |
 |
| Dinner at Ocean Restaurant was a treat |
 |
| Beautiful location and beautiful food! |
 |
| Second stop at Red's Eats did not disappoint! I would have stopped a third time if we could have! |
 |
| I'm still dreaming about those lobster rolls |
No comments:
Post a Comment