Monday, October 8, 2012

Perseverance

Speaking of Alivia's reading. .  .it has totally taken off! She is like a new student this year. Something clicked over the summer. We just completed an interesting Occupational Therapy program and I wonder if that had anything to do with it? The program required various things from Alivia - with me - and things that she could do on her own.

I decided to make a chart for the things that she could do on her own and when she completed them, she would check them off her list. The list included things like: listening to Mozart, listening to books on tape, doing a computer program that flashed words on the screen. .  .

Alivia amazed me with her dedication and perseverance. She would almost EVERY activity EVERY day - she may have missed one or two every now and then, but for the most part she completed it on her own. And I never reminded her. Now that is amazing.

When she got close to completing the last month we told her that we would buy her the "Poo Poo Pee Pee" doll that she had been wanting for awhile. She was so excited.

Matt and I talked with her about how proud we were of her perseverance. She asked me what that meant and I said "It is doing something when you don't feel like it." This is also the trait that her teacher gave her at the end of kindergarten last year and I could not agree more.

Alivia, you amaze me! God has given you a special personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment