Grandmother (aka Mama T) turned 95 a few weeks ago. She celebrated with a beautiful luncheon given to her by her daughter (Aunt Martha) and two daughters in law (my mom and Aunt Jerry). I drove up and back to Fort Worth for the occasion and I am so glad I did. It was such a special occasion.
Meeting her friends was just precious. If any of you know my Grandmother, she does not put up with ding dongs, shenanigans or fake people, so her friends were the liveliest 80-90 year old bunch I have ever met. It was fascinating to talk with them and hear some of their stories. And Grandmother made a point of showing me off and telling everyone that I was a DOCTOR with FOUR kids. I was humbled and felt really special.
I stood up and gave a quick toast telling Grandmother that a lot can be known by the friends they have and that her friends were just such a lovely group of ladies. And even though she goes on and on about my accomplishments, as the matriarch of our family, she has set the lead by going to college back when it was not the norm, working and raising a family. . . she was touched.
The saddest part of the day was learning that two of her friends had died since the invitations had gone out 4 weeks ago. . . it must be hard to constantly be losing close friends.
 |
| The table - so pretty! |
 |
| Aunt Jerry, me and my cousin Leigh |
 |
| Aunt Martha, Aunt Jerry, Leigh and Mimi |
 |
| The centerpieces were so pretty |
 |
| The birthday girl! She looked so pretty - I cannot believe she is 95! |
 |
| Three of her precious friends. They are all in their 80's or older. |
 |
| Leigh, Grandmother and me - we look so tall next to her |
No comments:
Post a Comment