I knew the milestone was coming up but it was still a sweet surprise to receive my 10-year pin in the mail. TEN YEARS! I can hardly believe it. I remember starting out at the Seton Kozmetsky Clinic which was located way south - at that point I was working all day Monday/Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. I had just had Alivia - I started in April so she was 3 months old when I went back. I would pump in the bathroom. And I would cry on my way home when Matt would tell me he had already put her to bed. It was a very difficult transition and start. I wanted to quit so many times. I made myself commit to staying at least 6 months so it would not look bad on my resume. The job was just so overwhelming initially. Seeing patients every 15-20 minutes, trying to speak Spanish and being exposed to so many things that I just did not feel secure enough to know how to handle. WHEW. Talk about pressure and stress. Throw in a newborn baby, pumping, commuting and a husband who was starting a new business. Oh, and living in a town with very few friends. AHHHH!
Fast forward several years. I had three kids on Seton's dime and took generous maternity leave for each one (3 months!). I was welcomed back when I returned, and after my fourth child asked to reduce my hours to all day Monday and Wednesday, and it was granted to me.
This job has been such a gift to me. I am so thankful that my dad showed me the classifieds in the Travis County Medical Society flyer that had my job listed. It is a difficult job but has so many rewards - I am honored to work with the patients that I do. And am thankful that Seton allows me to work part time and carry my whole family on my health insurance plan. My income has helped us get through some tough financial times.
I think the medical field is such a great place for women (and men!). It pays well, is always in need, and gives you a sense of truly helping others in need. I am glad that I heeded the Holy Spirit's whispering in my ear when I heard Him telling me "Go to medical school!"




No comments:
Post a Comment