Saturday, August 27, 2016

Summer 2016

We had a jam-packed summer. And not really in a good way. More of a "oh my goodness, what did I sign us up all for?" kind of summer. I regret that. Next summer I need to really remember a few things like:

1) do not leave town in June - no one is tired of Austin or the heat yet
2) definitely leave town in August if you can
3) only one family vacation - I think we are heading to the beach next summer
4) look for camps that only involve the MORNING. All day camps are just too much
5) only one week of TLLC VBS camp
6) Matt continues to travel for work during the summer

Alivia really loved her Art class at Laguna Gloria and the creation she made was pretty amazing. Will was sort of "meh" about his Robot Class. I think he thought it lasted too long. He was ready to come home by 1 and the camp lasted until 3:30 pm.

The little boys liked the FIRST week of TLLC VBS - we could have easily passed on the second week.

After Colorado in June (see other post), we headed to Camp Barnabas to spend a week in Purdy, Missouri with the Brawners. While I am so glad we did it, it was a few days too long and came at a hard time in the summer since Matt had been traveling a lot. There was A LOT of downtime that we were not prepared for but overall the kids really loved it. They had lots of time to just ride around the camp and hang out with the Brawner kids. I don't think I will rush back to do it again, but I am glad I got to take a peek into their (crazy) lives. I really respect they are living as missionaries at that camp and serving a community that really needs some extra help.

The creek float is one of Al's most favorite activities!


Catching crayfish

The dining hall 


We bought the "Pretty Prancer" for Matthew while we were there since he did not have a bike - he LOVED it!

Brawner's house

Brawner front area of the "office park" they are using as their summer house!

Eating in Purdy at a good Mexican restaurant/market

Kids loved the slides into the pool

Mollie Jane and Alivia loved being together


Love these guys - matching shirts and all

Downtown Springfield

Sitting on the WellHouse porch during my "office hours"





Alison's parents (Glen and Ginny Glass) also were there during our week - so fun to see them

Custard at Andy's in S-field

These girls are kindred spirits - they loved to bake together



Glen and Ginny Glass

Last night - "cross walk"

Lauren's WellHouse where the clinic is located and where we stayed (so nice!)


Love these two!


When we got back all the kids were in various camps - VBS for the littles that lasted ALL DAY (too long!), Art Camp for Alivia, and Robot Camp for Will.

This statue is SO NEAT! She did such a nice job.


Avery was in the art class too which made it so fun for Alivia

Will's creation from the week



Then I sent the big kids off to overnight Pine Cove. They loved it! We already signed up for another term next year.




Soon after the older kids got back we sent them to Nana and Pop Pop's house in Pittsburgh for a few days before the rest of us joined them. I think they enjoyed the special time with Bob and Ruth but when I asked if they wanted to do it again next year, they said "no." I think Bob and Ruth were really worn out with trying to entertain them, too. They went to the Children's Museum one day and out to eat a few times. The kids loved building cars and birdhouses with them - I wish they had been able to do that even more because those are such neat skills (woodworking and painting) that Bob and Ruth are so good at.

Oh man, it was SO HARD to put them on a plane alone but they did GREAT!

While the big kids were in Pittsburgh, I was at co-teacher training all day for 3 days.

When we joined the kids in Pittsburgh, Rusty and Rob and their families also came up. It was so much fun to see all of them. We had a special brunch for Ruth for her 80th birthday that she enjoyed at Atria's. We also all went to Kennywood Amusement Park. I could have skipped this activity but it was a way to entertain everyone at the same time. It was really EXPENSIVE and we did not all stay together as much as I would have liked, but I know the kids had fun. Drew, Zach and Josh are such sweet cousins for my kids. My kids really look up to them. I wish we saw them more.

Brunch celebration at Atria's


Josh and Matthew (Josh is heading to Grove City College in a few weeks!)


The whole gang (minus Rob, Shelly and Sophie)

Matthew and Uncle Rusty have a sweet, wonderful friendship

Look what Matt won for Alivia. She was thrilled. We had been trying to win one all day!

Had to make a trip to Heinz field for swim swag

Lunch at Wholey's on the strip - the kids hated the food, but it's still fun to visit


Then we squeezed in Schlitterbahn right before school started! WHEW.

It was so insanely HOT. Literally 106 degrees this day. UGH



No comments:

Post a Comment