We just got back from one of my most favorite vacations. The TCU girls (and hubbys) - minus Mandy and Shane - went to Secrets Akumal in Mexico and it was AMAZING. We had 6 days together in paradise and it did not disappoint. Our room was so beautiful and I am glad we upgraded to a suite. The room had a beautiful sitting area and hot tub on the porch that was so fun. Matt and I would sit in the sitting area and do our quiet times in the morning and in the evening would come back to sit in the hot tub and talk on our deck. The beach was beautiful and we spent hours under the covered areas just reading and having drinks served to us - glorious. Anna, Alison and I also enjoyed snorkeling right off the beach and saw beautiful turtles, sting rays and lots of fish. So fun! Matt really enjoyed playing beach volleyball with the guys and played for about 3 hours one day on the beach.
The drive to the resort was about 90 minutes. I was really worried about that but it was just fine. It is a well lit highway and the drivers were all very nice. Speaking Spanish also gives me a sense of security as well.
We arrived at the resort after dark but Anna, Alison and Red were all waiting for us in the reception area. It was great to see them. The guys had already been drinking . . . a LOT so they all missed dinner that night. The food was good but the service was really S-L-O-W. That is my only real complaint about the resort.
The first day we all snorkeled but I did not see as much I would on another day. We could just use snorkeling equipment there so there is no need to buy any or bring any which is great. I finished up reading a book by Dave Ramsey which was fun to discuss with Matt. Then I started (and finished just as we touched down in Austin!) "All the Light we Cannot See". We would all meet for breakfast every morning around 9ish and eat lunch in one of the swim up suite rooms or on the beachfront restaurants our grills. It was fun having Anna and Red have suites with swim up pools. But to be honest I liked our 2nd story suite a little better since we had our own private hot tub. The swim up suite pools were shared between about 5 rooms. This was not a big deal because no one else used theirs but that could be a little weird if other people were there.
We were so worried about Hurricane Nate! He was brewing off the coast - I prayed on the plane ride there that it would not affect our beach days - and it never did! The first day was overcast but nothing terrible. It was sort of nice to have a cooler day and not have to worry about sunscreen. The other days were beautiful and sunny.
The mosquitoes were bad. . . I would see them spraying every day but even then if you were going to sit outside you really needed bug spray. They really ate Alison up! She had a lot of bites along her lower legs.
I would definitely return but I think it would be fun to try another Secrets resort in another location. I liked having a smaller feel and the suite room was wonderful. I don't think we can pull off another trip in a year but hopefully in 2 years!
Reminders for next time:
Bug spray
slippers for the room
Nice dress for every night
bikini for every day
lotion sunscreen (it goes on better and prevents streaking)
sun shirt
a good book (or two!)
Yeti cup to hold drinks
 |
| Alison and Jason got there a day earlier than we did and soaked up every minute |
 |
| Me and the girls. Mandy sent her face to us as a surprise. See her?! |
 |
| Swim up pool outside Red and Anna's rooms |
 |
| Ahhhh. . . the best view! |
 |
| We miss you Shandy! |
 |
| Alison brought shirts from Camp Barnabas and monogrammed underwear for the boys - hilarious |
 |
| We tried to watch the TCU game in Red's suite but couldn't find the game! The girls went to another bar to watch - I went to the beach to read. :-) |
 |
| Al's favorite cocktail - the Mini Beer - 43 liquor with Bailey's. It was a hit! |
 |
| Eating Japanese food with the gang |
 |
| Rain never slowed us down! And it would only last about 30 minutes or so |
 |
| Eating poolside! |
 |
| Beautiful storm clouds |
 |
| Watching the boys play volleyball |
 |
| Beach volleyball |
 |
| Alison's favorite liquor! |
 |
| On the way to the airport - stopping at a farmacia for Matt's cipro - yep, he had diarrhea the last day. :-( |
No comments:
Post a Comment