So after MANY years of thinking about it, we finally pulled the trigger and took the kids skiing. I really didn't know what to expect. Since I was hesitant I thought it would be a good idea to go to a ski resort that I was familiar with - WOLF CREEK! I went there several times with my high school youth group and really loved it because it's low-key and relatively easy to get to from Texas.
We decided to book a house in South Fork (NOT Pagosa!) which was a surprise but we realized South Fork is about 20 minutes closer to Wolf Creek and in the morning when you want to ski with kids you just want to get there!
The kids did GREAT! We put them in all day ski school for 2 days. On the third day Alivia took some more lessons but we skied with all the kids. . . this was HARD. Matthew was still really a beginner. I think three days of lessons would have been better. The fourth day Will and Matthew chose to stay behind at the cabin and relax while Alivia and John each took a one hour private lesson and we skied with the other child. That was a blast! I loved having one on one time with each kiddo skiing. Alivia is quite good and John is so fast and has no fear.
I think we would love to make this an annual tradition but it is expensive. . . Thankfully we borrowed all of our ski stuff from Anna and Sam so we literally didn't have to buy any clothing. I was so thankful for that. I brought all the food from Austin to cook so we didn't have to go out to eat. I put my foot down and asked Matt if we could buy lunches at the ski resort and he agreed! I was so happy. I love having a hot meal at lunch on the ski slopes. When John and Matthew were in all day ski school their lunches were provided. I was really impressed with the Wolf Pups ski school (ages 5-8).
![]() |
| The first day was really warm! Definitely spring skiing. |
![]() |
| Hardly any snow in South Fork which worried us - but Wolf Creek had tons of snow! |
![]() |
| Beautiful San Juan Mountain Range |
![]() |
| Walking around South Fork. The kids loved playing in the snow. |
![]() |
| Riding the chair lift with my girl! |
![]() |
| We loved working together on a puzzle every night. We finished it in the nick of time. |
![]() |
| We fed the deer and turkey bird seed and they would come eat right off the front porch! |
![]() |
| 3 Pines Cabin in South Fork through VRBO was a hit. Matt loved the wood burning stove. |
![]() |
| Rainbow Grocery is the coolest local grocery store with everything from food to snow chains. Everything you could possibly need. Part grocery store and part general store. |
![]() |
| Picking up little man from Wolf Pups. It was chaos. |
![]() |
| Will and Alivia |
![]() |
| The kids had so much fun playing in the snow at the ski resort. |
![]() |
| More deer! |
![]() |
| On the front porch of our cabin |
![]() |
| Finding a table for lunch was always a bit tricky. |
![]() |
| John loved to bomb down the hills |
![]() |
| Matt! |
![]() |
| Ha! Can you tell it's John underneath all that clothing??? |
![]() |
| Older kids and Matt and me |
![]() |
| Inside the cabin |
![]() |
| More deer! |
| I loved skiing with Matt without the kids because we ski exactly the same - well, he's better but at least I can keep up with him! |
| The second day it snowed and was quite a bit colder |
![]() |
| Skiing along with John was really fun |
![]() |
| Walking in South Fork |
![]() |
| Skiing alone with Alivia - so fun! |
![]() |
| Puzzlers |
![]() |
| Cutie! |
![]() |
| John was enthralled with the icicles |
![]() |
| Eating lunch - they have such good food that is reasonably priced |
![]() |
| Alivia learning with an "edgie wedgie" and putting her skis in pizza formation |
![]() |
| Skiing with Matthew was challenging. We put him between our legs for some of the run but that is really tiring. |
![]() |
| The whole Risinger clan! |













































No comments:
Post a Comment